Digital Brushes

Canvas Noise Brush Test | A quickly test with brushes dedicated for canvas noise.

Building painting tools

Many years ago, when studying Fine Arts in Bologna, in 1986, I was thinking how would be the artist of the future. During a discussion with Yuji (a Japanese friend) in the Fine Arts School corridors. I imagined painting with light tools, computers and things like that... certainly computers and software have made great strides and now one can draw and paint on the computer.

Even though tools and interfaces can improve and get closer to the process of creation, this process should be closest to the art world, without too much technical jargon and more practical sense. Nowadays the graphic tablets have become a true display of light where we can draw and paint directly onto the canvas. Unfortunately the software is too complex to master, in my opinion, because they use the beginning of man-machine metaphor... well ... we'll see the future!

Dry Brushes | Strokes samples of my first digital brushes experiments, 2008.

My research on digital brushes based started in 2008 (but with some interruptions and changes of mind). Initially I looked closely how the dynamic array of brushes works. Brushes can be very complex in terms of construction and, in fact, I have created several types for watercolors, acrylics and oil and to some designed to woodcut.

Recently I am simplifying many concepts about the brush behaviour, trying to figure out how to get the desired effect with minimum effort and maximum economy in the brushes construction. I've designed a specialized series on pencils and I'm successful to get an excellent match with real pencils; high-performance features as regards the processing of a drawing on computer. Keep in mind that if the brush is complex, it takes a long processing time to the computer, and this produces a kind of delay while you draw. In the gallery I show some examples and drawings of this brushes design process.

Soft Pencils Compositions. This series for pencils is very versatile and is possible to use to many techniques, per example, acrylics and I have also made some examples emulating watercolor.